Monday, September 21, 2015

Blog 7 - Sous les pavés, la plage!

How does the beach have a social context? That's something I aim to find out. This doc will be reflexive as well as poetic. I want the audience to come along with the process.

The title: Under the Paving Stones, comes from a translation of: Sous les pavés, la plage! Which comes from graffiti during the May 1968 period of unrest in France. The idea of this is that beneath all of the constructs of daily life, there lies a more peaceful life.

The idea of the doc is simple. The beach and what that entails. I aim to narrow this view down over the course of shooting and piece together a film complete with a good deal of voice over and shots. With not much time, this actually helps because the idea is limited and clear and with a shorter run time I can focus more on the subject.

The idea was also posed to have the doc shot in one continuous shot and to have the subject this big set. This is a good idea and I may pursue it. Potential problems with this would be the practicality of shooting ten minutes straight with no interruptions. I think the idea is worth a shot and I will attempt to do this first before pursuing other options.

My plan is to shoot today after class out at fairy meadow beach. What I am going to do is map out my shots when I get to the beach and then shoot. If everything goes according to plan I will have all the shots I need and then I can get to editing.


After this comes the voice over, which has to be poetic. I am working on several things to read for the voice over. I think I will open with a literal poem and then speak more about the subjects as the film continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment